Dental crowns are not quite as menacing as they sound. They are one of several types of dental restorations that involve capping or covering the decayed or damaged tooth to restore it. It is placed over the entire visible surface of the tooth to protect, strengthen and restore chewing surfaces – thus preventing fracturing and ultimately saving the tooth.
Typically, the dental crown is of porcelain or metal. The top dentist in Chandigarh makes them match your natural teeth in both shade and shape and restores your smile with minimal disruption.
The best dental clinic in Chandigarh recommends you for a dental crown in the following situations:
- To prevent the breakage of a weak tooth or keep parts of a cracked tooth together.
- For restoration of a broken tooth or a severely worn tooth.
- To provide support and cover to a tooth when there is lots of space around.
- To hold a dental bridge in place.
- To cover misshapen or severely discolored teeth.
- To cover a dental implant.
- To make a cosmetic modification.
Here’s how to prepare your tooth for a crown-
- The dentist will first numb your tooth and the surrounding gum tissue with a local anesthetic.
- Next, they will remove the top part of your tooth and reduce its size so the crown can fit over it. If your tooth is severely broken or if not enough of it remains above the gum line to support a crown, your dentist may have to build up the core of your tooth by adding some filling material before sizing it down.
- After preparing your tooth for a crown, your dentist will take an impression (mold) of it and any neighboring teeth so that the permanent crown can be made at a dental lab. A temporary crown will then be placed over your prepared tooth until your permanent one is ready to be fitted.
- At last, the dentist will fit the permanent dental crown.